Partner can’t sleep because you snore? Is it finally time to work on finding a solution?
Snoring in San Diego can result when the tissue in the back of the throat collapses onto the soft palate. This narrows the air passageway. As you breathe, this area opens and closes—with a noisy result.
Now you’re probably wondering what this has to do with your dentist? Well, your nightly symphony may be a result of sleep apnea. With Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), the air passageway not only narrows, you could actually stop breathing. These pauses can last for up to a minute and occur repeatedly dozens or even hundreds of time per night.
Many people with sleep apnea snore, but not all snorers have sleep apnea. Regular snoring in San Diego does not generally wake you up during the night, though it may wake your partner up again and again.
Is My Snoring a Symptom of Sleep Apnea?
- Do you wake up numerous times during the night gasping?
- Are you excessively tired during the day?
- Do you wake up with a headache?
- Do you easily doze off during the day?
- Are your mouth and throat noticeably dry when you wake up?
Snoring in San Diego is not merely an annoyance. It has significant health consequences. And sleep apnea is even more dangerous because it completely cuts off the oxygen flow.
There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: This is the most frequent type. It is caused by throat muscles relaxing and blocking the airway.
- Central Sleep Apnea: The cause of the breathing cessation lies in the central nervous system. The brain fails to control the breathing muscles.
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome (Treatment-emergent Central Sleep Apnea): This condition is present when a person has both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
Can My Dentist Help Me Stop Snoring in San Diego?
Our dentist may be able to help you sleep and breathe at night. At Marcos Ortega DDS, we can provide you with an Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT). A custom-made mouthpiece can keep your airway open throughout the night. Schedule a consultation with us to discuss your options today. We also offer other services like teeth whitening, root canals, and dental implants.
Contact Marcos Ortega DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):