Dental health and a remarkable smile depend on much more than simply brushing regularly. In today’s post about general dentistry in Cresthill, we present a quick refresher course on vital lifestyle practices that affect oral health. You are probably familiar with most of these recommendations, but it is helpful to get a reminder once in a while. We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. After all, the two are inseparable.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that attack enamel.
- Brush gently but meticulously at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Make sure you clean thoroughly between teeth with dental floss or flossing picks.
- If you have children, communicate with your San Diego dentist about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
- Have a dental examination twice yearly with your San Diego dentist.
- Eat a sugar frequently. Sugar triggers the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel.
- Snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to constant bombardment by acids.
- Chew on ice.
- Use your teeth as tools. Ever.
- Drink energy drinks.
- Get oral piercings.
- Ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
Cosmetic and General Dentistry in Cresthill
If you have oral pain or haven’t visited a dentist in a while, call Marcos Ortega DDS at 619-295-4545 to schedule an appointment for cosmetic and general dentistry in Cresthill. Tooth problems get worse over time – especially if there is decay or gum disease. At Marcos Ortega DDS, we serve the San Diego area with exceptional dental care including dental implants, sedation dentistry, dental crowns, and teeth whitening.
Contact Marcos Ortega DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):