This post from Marcos Ortega DDS in San Diego looks at getting and keepinng dental health.
When Benjamin Franklin said “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” nearly three hundred years ago, he meant fire safety. But like all timeless quotes, it applies to much of modern life, particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some important guidelines are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard when joining in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged. (Remember that non-contact sports seldom are!)
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Do not pierce your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth. Oral piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a risky fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!