As a cosmetic and general dentist in San Diego, Dr. Marcos Ortega of Marcos Ortega DDS has been helping patients with cutting edge dental technology for more than 26 years now. Let’s just say he knows a lot about teeth! How much do you know about your pearly whites? Here are 15 fun facts about teeth!
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as critical as your teeth.
- Some prescription painkillers can increase your risk of dental cavities.
- Some home water filters remove fluoride.
- Approximately 19 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated cavities.
- Heartburn can be harmful to your teeth.
- Allergies may cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as damaging to teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are both capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team once used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab.
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles from your teeth, but you should always try to brush immediately after meals when you can.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth; regular visits to the dentist can help them be detected when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
San Diego dentist Dr. Marcos Ortega of Marcos Ortega DDS offers world class cosmetic, general and sedation dentistry, plus emergency dental care for all patients. Call today to schedule your appointment and consultation.